Monday, October 17, 2011

A little Turban love

Alright... Alright. I don't know what hurts worse, my ego, the horrible first impression I made or the terrified Turban wearer on a street corner in London, England.

So the story goes like this...

I just stepped off the London Underground and made my way onto the bustling streets of London.

Myself, and 6 other women- half American's and half Canadian's were on our way to a formal tea at a beautiful hotel in London. We all had on our Smart Casual Dress, which translates to Business Casual Wear in America, anyways, as we excitedly make our way to the hotel we decide to stop and take a picture with the hotel in the background.

You know how it goes with a group with cameras... someone is always left out of the picture because they have to take the shot of the group.

Well, that's not a problem because as we are preparing to get a photo I decide that I'll take it upon myself to find someone to take out group picture.

I look around and see two men in Turbans getting their picture taken in front of the hotel. Perfect!

So... I ask the young man with a mini-turban on his head that was taking the picture if he wants me to take a picture of all three of them together. 

It turns out he speaks English, though not very well.

And yes, he would like me to take his picture with the other two men. 

Okay, good, little turban dude speaks English. Not very well, but well enough.

So, I think, that's a nice offer-to take a picture of all of them and then he can take ours after that.

So I ask him,

"Do you mind taking our picture afterwards?"

Where he proceeds to inform me,

 "NO... I am married man."

What the heck? Am I being accused of hitting on half-pint turban guy. How? What? Wait...

"Noooooo." I say, " You must not get it, I just want you to take our picture- I don't want to take a picture with you." I'm married too- I think we have misunderstanding."

Well, my convincing went nowhere. I'm still not sure if it was a language barrier, a sexist barrier, or a religious barrier. All I know was this poor little guy looked as if I was about to jump on top of him and devour him. He was absolutely terrified of me. Maybe it was my brash American independence. Or maybe it was my lack of intimidation by his tiny turban.  I don't know. All I know is that when I turned around to look at all the ladies that were with me they had a look of complete shock at what I had just done.

I mean really, who am I to fault a man for not wanting to take a picture of a group of women, that is actually quite respectable. I think I'm just embarrassed that I looked like a total American idiot!

How was I supposed to know that this was some uber traditional, women are for mating and should be locked away other than that kind of man with a turban.

And really, turban dude- why was it OKAY for me to take YOUR picture and not for you to take mine. What? What your wife doesn't know won't hurt her? Oh my. OH my. I really need to learn to THINK before I ACT. For some reason, when you are a foreigner in a country, it's 100 times more embarrassing when you mess up b/c you feel like it faults not only you but also your country.


I have no clue what impression I left on the women with me because I know none of them would have DARE done that. They are much smarter then that- much more controlled.

And none of them would ever say "fanny-pack" either. Oh, YES. Fanny-pack my lady friends, in England means pu$$y. And I belted out, right after my photo-snafu.

"I think fanny-packs should make a comeback. "

The old man in the street on his bike almost died. And the ladies with me quickly informed me why you never say fanny-pack in England.

Tata for now!

Keep your distance from men in turbans and never say fanny-pack... NOTED!

Here's the picture from in front of the hotel. And note, I'm left out. I lost on the picture taking solution. But it turns out that it wasn't even the nice angle of the hotel.

But this was.






1 comment:

  1. For some reason I never read this post. This totally cracked me up! i would somhave put my foot in it also! Miss you, girl!

    ReplyDelete