Thursday, July 22, 2010

Aunt Annie's in the Willis' Casa


I had a craving today. 


A craving for warm, soft, buttery pretzels. 


So... I searched for a recipe and made me some. I don't know why but whenever Marc leaves, I always bake. And... Hyvee had/has flour on sale for .$99. 


These were really easy and VERY yummy! 


I'm no Martha... but I'm learning! Baking is definitely a learned art; one that I think will take years to perfect. 


I have tons left over so I think I'll take some to the neighbors tomorrow. Look out Bible Study girls. This is what I'm bringing for our snack on Tues. 






I know... I know... I need a bit of practice at my pretzel twisting! 
The log one is Tripp's. He said it is a snake. 


This was the prettiest one I could muster.



Hot out of the oven with melted butter. 
I'm out of Kosher Salt so cinnamon sugar will have to do.


Melted butter, cinnamon, sugar and honey. This one was devoured in two seconds. Vida loved it. She started kicking in my belly as soon as I finished. 


Pretzel loaves for sandwiches. 

Here's the recipe. 


INGREDIENTS:
4 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 teaspoon white sugar
1 1/4 cups warm water (110 degrees F
/45 degrees C)
5 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
 
1/2 cup baking soda
4 cups hot water
1/4 cup kosher salt, for topping

DIRECTIONS:
1.In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
2.In a large bowl, mix together flour, 1/2 cup sugar, and salt. Make a well in the center; add the oil and yeast mixture. Mix and form into a dough. If the mixture is dry, add one or two tablespoons of water. Knead the dough until smooth, about 7 to 8 minutes. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
3.Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). In a large bowl, dissolve baking soda in hot water.
4.When risen, turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and divide into 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a rope and twist into a pretzel shape. Once all of the dough is all shaped, dip each pretzel into the baking soda solution and place on a greased baking sheet. Sprinkle with kosher salt.
5.Bake in preheated oven for 8 minutes, until browned.

2 comments:

  1. OH.DEAR.GOODNESS! Those look delightful! And you better bring some to study on Tuesday! Beccy told me you were blogging again, looks like I have a lot of catching up to do on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have lot's of kosher salt! Next time give me a call. Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete